Unless you are the second coming of Jesus Christ (if you are, please comment!) it’s impossible not to feel a bit down sometimes. Here are 20 quick ways to revive yourself and get back that “on top of the world” feeling.
- Stick your body out of a sunroof while the car is driving
I can tell you first-hand this one is a lot of fun. If you don’t have a sunroof, a window works just as well. Speeds of 40 mph+ make the experience much more invigorating.
- Go experience natureBeing outside just feels right.
- Destroy something
Take out some frustrations on an inanimate object like the printer in ‘Office Space’
- Dance!Remember that one time you got a bit tipsy and ACTUALLY danced and didn’t care about everyone watching? Go do that again (being tipsy is optional).
- Realize that you are ALIVE!
You have years and years of potential ahead of you. If you feel dead today, consider what stupendous things you could be doing tomorrow.
Hormones are the best legal drugs out there. Pump some iron or go for a run and get that adrenaline pumping.
- Watch the sun rise
You can’t argue with this one. Wake up a bit early and remind yourself how refreshing this experience can be.
- Scare yourself
Are you deathly afraid of spiders? Go touch one. Pick a fear and go check and see if it still freaks you out ;)
- Run around in the rain
Haven’t you seen ‘Singing in the Rain’ or ‘The Sound of Music?’
- Blast your favorite badass song
My favorites are Bliss by Muse, You and Whose Army? by Radiohead and Without a Face by Rage Against the Machine.
- Do something outside of your comfort zone
Surely you can find something in this last but I wanted to keep your imagination going just in case.
- Scream at the top of your lungs
Like in all of those cliche movies where they yell in the rain on top of some mountain… except do in right where you are, right now.
- MeditateGoogle “meditation techniques” if you’re unsure of the best way to do this.
- Do something spontaneous
It doesn’t have to be crazy or dangerous, just fine. Stepping outside your normal schedule and throwing responsibility to the wind feels great.
- Practice an act of random kindness Giving feels really good. Sometimes we forget exactly how good.
- Get to know a strangerTruly connect with another human being. Skip the small talk and ask about their goals and ambitions.
- Make love and/or have an outrageous make-out session
The room/closet/dressing room you occupy should be FILLED with steam afterward or you’re not rocking it hard enough.
- Do something illegal
Oh my gosh, did I just tell you to break the law? Hell yes I did. Laws are made to be broken and it feels great to do it.
- Drive fast…really fast
Think ‘The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift.’ If you have a Prius, maybe you should just skip to the next one…
- Get Mad!
Anger is a gift. If something is getting you down, express your frustration about it! Just getting your feeling out can feel amazing.
- Swim in a cold lake, beach or riverI never feel more alive than when I get out after a cold swim and my heart is pumping to keep my body warm. A cold shower is good too. I believe the word is: invigorating. — Elkano
- Attend a funeralIt’s been said that nothing makes you feel more alive than death. — Ace
Bonus Reader-Suggested Ways
How do you make that feeling permanent?
Step 1: Figure out what it is that makes you feel dead and cut it out of your life.
Step 2: Find your bliss and go after it with every fiber of your being.