So I burnt my tongue earlier (obviously) on some super reheated french fries and it suddenly hit me that our taste buds regenerate ridiculously quickly. It seems to me that within 24 hours of even the worst tongue burn I can think of experiencing, my mouth was back at optimum taste action within a day. It seems like a large sink of bodily resources just to fix a few taste buds. Any ideas about why it may happen so fast?
The tongue is the fastest thing of your entire body to heal, the bacteria in the mouth is also the the worst of the entire body, but saliva causes a nitrate reaction that allows injury to heal fast. Dogs, for example, have an incredibly higher nitrate reaction in their saliva than even us, so dog spit can heal a wound at a phenomenal rate, hence a dog shall lick his wounds. I do not recommend this though as the bacteria retains the potential for infection.
But the tongue is a vital factor in our survival, as sour could be, and bitter is usually, poison. The taste tells us if something is edible, so it must rejuvinate rapidly because we eat so often and the potential for eating poison is (rather used to be) high.