1 in 3 people have a gluten sensitivity..do you?

Max Nachamkin (@feren6)7 years, 7 months ago

After doing some more research on gluten sensitivity, I found a study by Enterolab in Texas that found a new method of testing for it by looking at a stool sample instead of blood.

“Although recently these antibodies were looked for only in the blood and are found in 12% of the general American public, my research has revealed that these antibodies can be detected in the stool in as many as 35% of what are otherwise normal people (U.S. and International patents pending).

If high risk patient populations are tested, or people with symptoms, the percentage usually exceeds 50%. It makes sense that the antibodies are more easily detected in the intestine because the immune system reaction to food is mainly a response occurring inside the intestinal tract. Thus, the end product of intestinal transit, stool, is the most logical (albeit more messy) place to look.

Insane, right? A little backstory..

Up until a couple of years ago, I was unhealthy as shit. I had to take prescription medication for acid reflux, migraines, nausea, headaches, stomachaches, you name it. I got sick all of the time, and it really prevented me from enjoying simple things.

But once I figured out what was causing my sicknesses, all of my symptoms went away.

Not some..but ALL.

Instead of getting sick 5 days out of the month, I now only get sick once per YEAR.

Guess what was causing it?

Gluten.

Doctors never figured it out. I had gotten MRIs for my migraines, had tubes shoved down my throat for acid reflux, and even been prescribed medicine for symptoms of other medicine I took. Screw that.

But when I started to change up my diet, I stopped having the symptoms. Turns out I have a gluten sensitivity…damn.

And even if you don’t think you do, this new test reveals that even though you don’t get sick directly from eating bread or pizza or beer, it could be the reason why you’re getting headaches, stomachaches, and just feel like shit in general all of the time.

It’s crazy how much it changed the quality of my life. And I’m curious — have any of you gone gluten free and it solved a lot of issues?

Do any of you consistently get headaches and stomachaches, or have a variety of health symptoms?

It’s NOT normal to get sick like that a lot. And if you’re 1 of the 3 people with a sensitivity, eliminating it could solve myriad amount of health problems that you have.

Look into it…I even wrote an entire article on it because I am THAT adamant about eliminating gluten: http://www.innergladiator.com/how-to-never-get-sick/

Seriously. Cut it out for 30 days and reintroduce it to see what happens. If you aren’t sensitive, then great, not a big deal. But if you are sensitive, then phenomenal — you just figured it out.

It’s a win-win situation.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this and whether or not you’ve stopped eating gluten, or don’t plan to (and why not).

Rock on!

February 22, 2013 at 9:02 am
Zenn_Ian (13) (@ifosso) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

I have a very similar story, I started to experience issues in my mid-20s. Acid reflux, weight gain (which was partly due to starting to work full time and be less active), frequent headaches and the biggest most scary issue: frequent irregular heartbeat. I was eating a fairly healthy diet in respect to the conventional USDA guidelines (which are complete garbage in reality) and experiencing a pounding heart and high blood pressure for about an hour after eating. I dealt with it for years, doctors told me it was stress related and never linked it to diet.

It was only in the last few years that I figured it all out. I started eating a Paleo or Primal diet due to taking up (and getting addicted to) CrossFit. I noticed when I ate a primal meal all my symptoms completely went away. I could eat a meal of meat and vegetables and fruit and not experience the rapid pounding heart beat normally associated with eating. I stopped taking heartburn medication. I also went from 22% body fat down to just over 10% after a year of cutting out gluten and working out a few times a week. I rarely get headaches and when I do they’re minor and manageable.

Pretty amazing stuff. Bottom line is humans are just not designed to process gluten. And the wheat used in gluten based foods are engineered these days to be easier to farm, but harder to digest. I think everyone should give cutting out gluten for a few days a shot. See if it fixes anything that’s bothering them.

[Hidden]
loveLOVElove (0) (@taleask) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

@ifosso, I think you were right on the mark with “gluten based foods are engineered”. Wheat has become so inbreed, definitely one of the most highly GMO ‘s we consume. I personally avoid wheat, grains in general. I eat 80/10/10rv as much as possible, but allow myself to stray when in social situations out of my control. My sensuous nature could never deny myself of the occasional sushi or oozy cheesy anything :P

[Hidden]
Anonymous (0) (@) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

My girlfriend has this problem. She recently cut out gluten and many of her ailments were either reduced radically or eliminated. Great article!!

[Hidden]
Anonymous (251) (@) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

I have been eating gluten free for about 8 months now, and the difference in not only my physical health, but mental health is huge. Over the years I have had a mass of symptoms which I can now contribute to gluten. It was ever changing which is why it took me so long to figure out what it was. I have been poked and prodded by so many doctors and all they could give me was a puzzled look. I only figured it out when my cousin said she had suffered from severe depression, which I was suffering from at the time too, and cutting out gluten had cured it.

I have said this before on HE, but seriously, if you suffer from any medical issues, no matter how big or small, cut gluten out, what do you have to lose.

Only last night my dad accidentally fed me gluten, and it resulted in me being itchy as fuck, too tired to function, and today I feel a hazy, grumpy and sore. It’s poison.

[Hidden]

@taleask, I agree it’s still important to have some meals that contain gluten from time to time, especially in social situations where it can’t be avoided. I do love bread and will have some from time to time. I used to be a pasta lover too, one great alternative I’ve found is quinoa pasta. Sold at some of the health food stores near my home. It’s taste is the same as wheat pasta, texture is a little firmer. Good stuff.

When I was suffering with the gluten side effects one strange thing I discovered that would stop them in their tracks would be drinking a little unfiltered apple cider vinegar or hot green tea, not cold green tea, or other-than-green tea, for some reason only hot and green would work. I don’t know why, but both of those things would snap everything back into normality. Heart rate would go back to normal and BP would drop…. all within minutes of drinking them. Biology is weird.

[Hidden]

@ifosso, Thanks for the tip. Need to go out and grab some green tea today :)

It’s interesting to hear someone else who’s blood pressure and heart rate is affected by it. Couldn’t believe it when at the age of 23 I was prescribed beta blockers for high blood pressure.

I do my very best to avoid it completely, mainly due to the depression that comes along with it for me. Rice flour has become a very good friend of mine :)

[Hidden]
PeaceRiot (178) (@peaceriot) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

@feren6, I was too lazy and high to read your whole post but I caught that link! I was too lazy and high to read the link but it is very valuable to me because I’m on a health kick right now. Thank you so much! May you be blessed today.

[Hidden]
stonedragon (143) (@stonedragon21) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

@feren6, great to bring this topic up.i have been gluten free for 20 years now and avoid illnesses, colds etc. and am strong and flexible with good digestion. and nice skin!
eating bread mainly gave me skin problems and bloating.
if we wonder why so many people have this, i think it is due to the hugely hybrid strains of wheat and other grains that our old fashioned bodies can not adapt to.

makes sense so
good advice to tell people to give it a try and also look out for all those hidden glutens.
soy sauce and most other processed foods could have wheat flour hidden in there
check ingredients if you are going to do this.
do it all the way and see how much less bloated and sharper you will feel
full of energy and vitatily!!

[Hidden]
Manimal (2,998) (@manimal) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

@feren6, That’s gluten OVERsensitivity. Everyone is gluten sensitive, gluten is bad news. Gluten can even cause auto-immunity disorders.

@stonedragon21, Good points. There’s a lot of other bad stuff in the grains too. Especially when consumed in the form of bread or pasta, which is some of the very worst “food” you could eat.

The mere fact that it contains copious amounts of starch is bad enough, both because it leads to indigestion and intestinal fermentation (even leaky gut) and because of the effects it has on glucose and insulin (grains are major contributors to the diabetes “pandemic.”)

Glad to hear that there are others on here who have ditched this stuff. It’s not food, it’s slow poison.

[Hidden]
Max Nachamkin (170)C (@feren6) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

@ifosso

Wow, that’s incredible. Power to you man! Do you have any before/after pics?

@taleask

Mmmmmm…Sushi…But true dat, wheat is just poison.

@cosmiclemonade

That’s what’s up! Another success story for the win.

@siantastic

Wow — that sounds exactly like my story. It affected my mental health significantly as well. (despite not mentioning it in the article)

What symptoms of yours were completely eliminated when you went gluten-free? Just high blood pressure?

@peaceriot

Thanks — I appreciate it.

@stonedragon21

20 years!? Holy shit, that’s awesome! Good call on the soy sauce..super hidden. That’s a good topic for an article…do you mind if I take that idea? ;)

@manimal

True. Some people have different symptoms from gluten. For example, a paleo blogger Richard Nikoley told me he only gets a runny nose when he eats it. That’s it!? Crazy how he can continue to give up bread knowing that that’s all it does to him.

If I eat a piece of bread now I’ll get 1) a headache, 2) IBS, 3) depressed. It’s enough to make me never want to touch gluten again, even for ‘cheat days’.

Are you completely gluten free?

[Hidden]

@feren6, No before/after pics per se. Just lots of pics and video of me as time went on. I started cutting out gluten in January of 2012, I had been doing CrossFit for three months prior to that and had seen some good gains with the training alone. After the switch to a primal diet things went crazy. I’m 38 years old, been athletic most of my life, sustained a lot of injuries over the years, especially my four years in the service. Shortly after changing my diet I started to see huge strength and endurance gains in my training, and even more insane was my tendinitis went away.

An example of how well it works, like I said I started eating primal Jan 2012. At that point I could not lift this tire 3 inches off the ground. This video was taken thee months later:

[Hidden]
Alex (345) (@staylucky) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

What’s crazy is that our bodies aren’t built to consume bread and pasta, shit like that. It bloats us up and we don’t even realise because we eat them so frequently. I’ve gone a month without them now. Good to get stuff out of your system that just sits there and makes you feel lazy once it’s slowly digesting.

[Hidden]

@feren6, Lol dude, I feel like I’d be here a week of I named every symptom that it got rid of. But some of the other things which disappeared were eczema, headaches and migraines, heart palpitations, nausea and severe stomach ache, dry mouth, fever, water retention. I’ve lost almost 100lbs now too, and you could say some of those symptoms were down to weight, but they return if I eat gluten.

Like I mentioned the mental health issues that occur make it not even remotely worth eating. My worst symptom now is the severe tiredness alongside depression, and general brain ‘foginess’.

The biggest thing for me was that my sore joints disappeared. I had been suffering with that for as long as I can remember. Really my life has changed so much since I cut it out.

[Hidden]
Anonymous (214) (@) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

I absolutely do and am currently seeing 3 seperate doctors to identify “what’s wrong” with my stomach killing me every time I eat food…

Anyway, on a serious note, what food doesn’t have gluten nowadays? I am legitimately curious because I would like to try a 30 day challenge myself

Thanks in advance

[Hidden]
DANM!! (107) (@deej) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

@ifosso, hell yeah! Congratulations, those tires are fucking heavy

[Hidden]

@ifosso, Damn, nice ifosso, good stuff.

@siantastic, Haha I feel ya.

It’s incredible how much of an impact it has on us. It’s insane.

@justinr,

Meat & fish, veggies, eggs, fruits, and potatoes is basically what it comes down to.

In order to do it, you’re going to have to cook your own food. It’s becoming more apparent for restaurants to have a gluten-free menu, but it’s still difficult to eat out on a gluten-free diet.

Cooking with these foods is super simple though. You just throw everything into one skillet, cook it for a little bit, crack an egg on top, and you’re good to go. I wrote about how I do it here: http://www.innergladiator.com/easy-cooking/

[Hidden]

@justinr, Hi Justin – if you’re looking for some detailed info on gluten free eating and what you can and can not eat check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Paleo-Customized-Whole-Foods-Lifestyle/dp/1936608758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361635025&sr=8-1&keywords=practical+paleo

It’s my bible, it’s got tons of recipes too, and eating plans.

[Hidden]
Anonymous (214) (@) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

Thank you guys, If you can really still eat fruit, veggies, meats and eggs I’ll be good to go.

This might be a dumb question, but do any of the things you might prepare on these foods (such as spices/sea salts etc.) contain many glutens? I’m currently obsessed with sea salt and spiced breakfast potatoes that I’ve been slicing into thin pieces and they usually make me feel quite alright

[Hidden]

@justinr, Sea salt is gluten free, and so are all other spices that are natural.

Things with gluten are foods with wheat, barley or rye.

[Hidden]

@manimal, hi manimal. what do you think of a low carb diet then.
my daughter and i cut out all starchy carbs for a month and we felt so great and light, relying only on carbs in vegetables. no breads no rice no potatoes. no pasta
i guess there are more carbs in vegetables that you think.
in the long run you lose a lot of weight doing this.
perhaps too much, and now that winter is here and its cold i feel the need to eat rice and potatoes once in a while again.
what is your take on this?

[Hidden]

@ifosso, also oats have some kind of gluten but im really good with it. it is the wheat and barley i cant tolerate. one needs to discover this. i need my oats in the morning to feel good.

[Hidden]

@feren6, dont forget rice. a real staple for me most of the time. no gluten in rice! but again watch out if you add soy sauce. it often has wheat. try tamari instead.

[Hidden]
xcije (0) (@xcije) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

Yay for super inflated placebo effects.

[Hidden]

@stonedragon21, Definitely — I eat plenty of rice on workout days post-workout to restore glycogen stores.

I don’t recommend eating foods high in GI without working out as it’ll make you crash..but they’re perfectly fine when you get enough exercise to warrant them.

[Hidden]
Manimal (2,998) (@manimal) 7 years, 7 months ago ago

@stonedragon21, Yeah there’s starch in most stuff. It’s only bad when there’s too much of it, or if you don’t chew it properly. The starch is not the main reason why the grains are so bad anyway.

I don’t know about rice and potatoes in the winter. In the winter, you need more fat, and our ancestors didn’t have access to a lot of carb-heavy food in the winter. Fat gives you the longer lasting energy to stay warm and its thermogenic effect heats up your body. Carbs don’t stave off the cold very well, fat and protein does.

Oats can be good in moderate amounts, as long as you don’t go overboard. White rice is no good, and the only reason it became so popular was because it made it easier to feed the hard workers and slaves, who worked physically all day. There’s a lot of energy in it, but very few people actually need that energy. And unnecessary caloric intake is no good.
Soy sauce is not very good either, while most of the bad effects of the soy is gone, it’s still made from a very toxic plant that’s completely foreign to the human body.

Most vegetables are great, replacing the grains with veggies is great. Ditch the grains, have some salad instead. More nutrients, less excess carbs, and less toxins.

[Hidden]
load more