1. Voluntary euthanasia – 2. The wish to control the death of other species

MichaelO (@michaelo) 7 years, 9 months ago

NOTE: Please move the topic if it’s placed in the wrong category, I couldn’t figure out where to post this.

Hey there, it’s been a long time since I last posted on here. Today, however, a couple of thoughts just popped up in my head and I couldn’t stop thinking of them. I know there are other topics about the first subject, but as the others are old, and while I also have another question, I opted to start a new one. The first thought/question:

1. Why do we humans, generally speaking, view voluntary euthanasia as bad?

The reason I can’t stop thinking about this question is because I can’t figure out why we’re are against it? I can think of reasons why the ordinary person isn’t allowed to ask for death, but at the least, why are we not allowed to help people who actually would be better off with this?

Take, for instance, a person who’s literally “standing on death’s doorstep” for whatever reason. It could be a fatally wounded or sick person. The person knows this and therefore wishes to die. It could also be a person who had most limbs amputated and therefore sees no reason in living anymore as he/she can’t do much anymore.

Now, as it is for the time being, we’re not allowed to help a person achieve this wish – at least in my country (Denmark), but I bet other countries have the same stance on this – but why is this? From my point of view, it should be allowed if it was like the situation mentioned above. From my point of view, if it was allowed, we would achieve two (or more) results:

1. the person would get his/her wish fulfilled and…
2. It could potentially help society save some of the money that would be used to keep this person alive. I know that, here in Denmark, the government keeps cutting in the amount of money that is given to important subjects like education and elder care (but, of course, we also have a government who promised one thing before elections and when they got elected, they just made a turn-around and did the exact opposite).

After thinking about this it lead to another thought:

2. Why are we humans, again generally speaking, against voluntary euthanasia when humans wish to control the death of other species who might be in the same situation as a human?

Take a dog. It’s incurably sick with cancer, have another fatal sickness or it could have lost two or three limbs – or something else.

While we humans don’t want to help another person die by this person’s wish, we have no problem performing voluntary euthanasia on for example a dog. How can we choose to relieve an animal of its misery while we don’t view it as “morally correct” when it’s done to help another human being?

This makes no sense to me. We can help an animal – who can’t actually tell us its wish – die, while we won’t help another human achieve his/her wish – even if the person can tell us this? Ehhhhmm, tell me about fucked up logic. In my opinion, it should actually be allowed for both humans and animals.

Please give me your opinion on this matter, as I’d like to hear what your opinion is.

//MichaelO

January 9, 2014 at 2:55 pm
lonely cat (1) (@jessicazavalaa) 7 years, 9 months ago ago

No like you know whats weirder, that we can go to war and kill a bunch of people for whatever the stupid reasons are, but like if we want to die it’s illegal? Like really

[Hidden]
Morgan Hensley (185) (@mghensley) 7 years, 9 months ago ago

Some things worth considering on Euthanasia:

Some view voluntary or passive (cessation of treatment) as wrong on the following grounds. For one, it can lead to a “slippery slope” in the medical system. If doctors began to intentionally end lives, it would undermine the Hippocratic Oath that doctors take in which they swear to do whatever it takes to continue life. Secondly, euthanasia takes away the possibility for a bright future that might occur after suffering.

Finally, these are not my views, but rather J. Gay-Williams from his essay “The Wrongfulness of Euthanasia”. You can find it online for free. Whether you agree or not, it is important to see the other side of arguments in order to help shape your own views. Hope you take the time to investigate it, it’s an interesting read.

[Hidden]
Morgan Hensley (185) (@mghensley) 7 years, 9 months ago ago

Also, here is an outline of both Williams’ and Rachel’s (who aligns more with you) argument, very condensed.
http://spruce.flint.umich.edu/~simoncu/162/euthanasia.pdf

[Hidden]
MichaelO (2) (@michaelo) 7 years, 9 months ago ago

@mghensley Thank you for the outline of the text you’re talking about, it was a very interesting read. This helped me see the other side of this problem. Still, when I was reading the outline, I actually thought that most of Williams’ arguments were ridiculous; that he didn’t care for the people who wanted to stop the pain they experience(d), that he just want them to keep living even if they’re paralyzed. He talks as if he knows for sure that these people would be better off just continuing to live. He talks as if he think he knows what these people are going through – hell, he might even actually know – but he forgets one thing: they are NOT experiencing the exact same pain as himself and all people don’t handle pain the same way.

@jessicazavalaa It’s not weirder, but you’re right, it is stupid. It’s not illegal to want to die, they can’t stop you from wanting it, but it’s almost illegal TO DIE if you don’t have a good enough reason. I guess the solution to this would just be that if you want to die, just go to war….?

Does anyone have some comments on my second though/question that they’d like to share?

[Hidden]
YHVH (462) (@spaceghost) 7 years, 9 months ago ago

I had to put my cat down last year. I asked him over and over if that’s what he wanted. Verbally, mentally, any way I could think of to make sure that’s what he wanted. I can only hope that someone would provide me with the same courtesy.

[Hidden]
MichaelO (2) (@michaelo) 7 years, 9 months ago ago

That’s exactly my point. Why can we deny humans, who wants this, when we do it for animals who can’t even agree to what we decide?

[Hidden]
load more