2 Questions for anybody who is or was in the U.S. Military

Matthew (@ojai) 7 years, 9 months ago

I have a couple quick questions for any Hethens who may be in the U.S. Military. If any other users who are also in their country’s military feel free to apply the questions to yourself as well if they seem suitable.

1) Why are/were you in the military?

2) Have you questioned your importance in the grand scheme of military/government politics and who/what it is that you’re actually ‘fighting’ for? If so, to what level?

I’ve been thinking about this lately. Any Hethens have any feedback?

January 24, 2014 at 5:25 pm
Obviously, you’re not a golfer (605) (@donjaime23) 7 years, 9 months ago ago

1) I joined the military because I needed: a steady paycheck, a ticket out of my parents’ house, direction & discipline, and a job I couldn’t get fired from.

2) No. I view this as a job, nothing more–although I have to admit, that’s a lot easier for me to do as a soldier in a logistics branch versus a combat arms branch.
If we were to go to war and I was sent into combat, I would certainly know what to do, thanks to my training, but I wouldn’t ponder the implications or “grand scheme” of it. Frankly, I don’t care about any of that, and there are scores of other soldiers here who don’t either. We’re just working a job we wouldn’t get turned down for in a shitty economy.

[Hidden]
Matthew (1,127) (@ojai) 7 years, 9 months ago ago

C’mon gimme some responses.

[Hidden]
Anonymous (175) (@) 7 years, 9 months ago ago

I was a Sub-Lt. in the RN.

Left because I realised I was a free spirit, value total freedom in human affairs, and don’t like taking orders from others (or giving them to NCOs).

I never fought in a war, but I did “evil” things like provide humanitarian aid, participate in protection of refugees, and patrolling of shipping lanes. haha.. So it blends well with my leaning/proclivity towards kindness.

[Hidden]
smalls (68) (@smalls) 7 years, 9 months ago ago

I was in the Marine Corps, did a tour to Iraq and Afghanistan. I joined to get money for college as well as to see parts of the world about which I was curious. I knew exactly what the relationship was going in, I used them and they used me, I guess it was mutually beneficial. As with most things there were both ‘bad’ and ‘good’ parts: the fighting wasn’t particularly great, but we did work with schools, repair/protect roads, dig wells, distribute seeds/food/water, provided school supplies to kids. I never did anything that violated a core belief of mine, and it opened me up to a different culture and some amazing people, I hope to go back to Afghanistan one day in a more humanitarian role but in the meantime I try to help from afar in any way I can. I can’t say I really questioned that too much, didn’t see what good it would do, I put myself in the situation, just had to make the best of it. But most of the people on the ground are there for very different reasons than the political side of it.

[Hidden]
load more