6 Days on only Water.

possiblehubris (@possiblehubris) 8 years, 10 months ago

For anyone that may be interested I will be embarking on a Water Fast starting this Wednesday Jan 23rd and going until Tuesday Jan 29th. During the course of the fast I will be documenting my feeling, thoughts, energy on HE. I have done several Water fasts in the past and now generally do one every year. My wife is flying out to Montreal for 6 days so it a good chance for me to do this without disrupting our family routine.

I was inspired to fast after reading Gandhi’s Autobiography when I was in my early 20s. I fast for spiritual reasons: to enhance self-control, examine my relationship with food and to challenge myself. Over the years it has also served as an effective form a weight regulation for me– generally I will lose 12-15 pounds during a 5-6 day water fast. This is also a nice perk.

I thought I would document my journey this time as a way of giving back to HE, as HE has done so much for my journey towards enlightenment.

Generally I keep my fast strictly confidential as it makes it easier to be without food if you are not talking about food or being asked questions about food, but I feel I am able to add this educational component to the challenge.

I shall begin in a couple of days:))

January 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Anonymous (11) (@) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

terrible Idea, unless the idea is to starve yourself and see what its like. if you’re going to fast at least get some fruit broth in you or self made juices from a juicer, to get the nutrients you need to still be healthy, your basically just going anorexic for six days. Not trying to be mean, but honestly you should learn how to fast the right way before starving yourself of nutrients that keep your mind healthy and could probably help you in your spiritual self-examination by supplying you with the energy to feel good and push you forward. I guarantee you will have substantially less energy than if you could get some broths/juice/ something with nutrients in it in you. you can still examine your relationship with food/gain the same experience, you just wont have to do it in an unhealthy way.

[Hidden]
Kimmy Svitak (483) (@secretcow) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@arona2662, It has been proven that you can go a few months without eating any food at all. It is not unhealthy at all. If you do it for an incredibly long time it can become bad, but your body can live without food for awhile. Far longer than most people would believe.

Here is a short article explaing some of the componets.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-long-can-a-person-sur

[Hidden]
Anonymous (177) (@) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@possiblehubris, Enjoy. The last long term fast I attempted I allowed herbal tea, plain – but that was a mistake – next time, just distilled water (I have my own distiller). You already know that you’ll be fine. For sure it’s a great way towards awareness of various aspects of our physical and spiritual “selves”. I look forward to the posts as I consider having another go with it. Peace, Love & Light ~ ricky

[Hidden]
Eric (1,819)M (@blankey) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@possiblehubris, Please, please don’t do this. It is VERY unhealthy and will not lead you close to enlightenment at all. Enlightenment is within the Now and if you are busy distracted by yourself suffering, well..you see the problem. When Buddha was asked what enlightenment is he simply stated, “The end of suffering.”. This is anti-that.

Instead! You should do a juice diet! You will not be eating but you will be juicing fruits and veggies and this actually has BENEFITS! Please consider doing this instead. It is probably just as hard and WAY WAY WAY better for you.

Here: https://www.highexistence.com/my-14-day-juice-fast/

By the way, buy a juicer!

[Hidden]
possiblehubris (72) (@possiblehubris) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@secretcow, , Thanks for the support. And thanks for pointing out that while unorthodox the practice of fasting is not crazy or dangerous.

@rickyferdon And thanks Ricky. Ya I have tried allowing tea before and it just made other flavors that much more tempting. The relationship one develops with water during the course of a water fast is intense, plus it allows for a good flushing of the system.

[Hidden]
Anonymous (8) (@) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@possiblehubris – If you say you’ve done this before then you obviously know more than I because I’ve never done such thing and I honestly don’t see it in me to ever do something like this. I’d probably do the juice fast though. Anyway what I wanted to say was, just make sure you take some MULTIVITAMINS. You want to stay nice and sharp, I’m not sure that the brain functions at its 100% without daily nutrients.

Anyway, I know that people on this site aren’t exactly going to convince you not to do this so good luck.

[Hidden]

@arona2662, @blankey, Thanks for your input and concern guys but water fasting has always been an extremely satisfying experience for me. I will be the first to say it is not for everyone and I understand that it could be dangerous in for many people, but it is not and has not been for me. I have always been healthy and for me it is a matter of Asceticism. I have always derived great satisfaction from pushing my body to its limits.

Clearly you two are more into fruit juice fasts which cool, but does not work for me. Ironically, I get too hungry on juice fasts– it needs to be all or none for me.

Also for me, a juice fast versus a water fast is too entirely different experiences and motivations. I associate juice fasting with dieting and vitamin boosting. Whereas a water fast is about abstinence, control, attention, focus, stillness, single-mindedness.

I do not aim to convince you, but a person can get along fine without food and it is neither scary nor dangerous.

[Hidden]

@estefania1, thanks for respecting my decision. As I just finished posting it is not for everyone, nor should it be. But various forms of asceticism have been practiced for thousands of years.
This is not a practice I take lightly– it is a serious matter to me. This is the 8th year in a row that I will be taking part in a water fast. For some reason after the gluttony of December, January usually ends up being the month that I choose.

[Hidden]
Quazaar (24) (@quazaar) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

Best of luck to you my friend! I’ll be interested to read your results.

[Hidden]
Alex (345) (@staylucky) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@possiblehubris, “I understand that it could be dangerous for many people”

“it is neither scary nor dangerous.”

You sure the lack of nutrients hasn’t already caused you to develop a split personality ;)

Good luck! Just look after yourself.

[Hidden]

@staylucky, Let me explain the contrived contradiction you have singled out.
For me this is not a extreme weight loss gimmick. I have never been over weight. I do not take any medications or have a heart condition. I am not pregnant. I am not a crazy person who is going to do extreme exercise while on the fast which my force me to blackout or die. I am not going to do a 15 day fast or a 30 day fast. All the above are reasons one should not take part in a fast because it can become dangerous.

Here is a couple of links to site explaining water fasts for those that are interested:

http://www.gaianstudies.org/articles4.htm

http://drbenkim.com/fasting.HTML

There are many sites out there warning that it is dangerous and crazy, but I feel a person has to explore the context and the individual circumstances of each scenario. Once I start I will not have the energy to fight with people about why they think I am stupid.

I am going to take one multivitamin each day. Other than that just water.

[Hidden]
Manimal (2,998) (@manimal) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@jakehay How is that relevant at all?

@possiblehubris Cool, dude. Waterfasting is great stuff. Glad to hear someone is doing it properly.

[Hidden]
Anonymous (24) (@) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

I’ve actually been tempted to try a water fast myself for a while now, but haven’t done so yet out of fear of losing my energy, since I work throughout most of the week. Gonna try this too. Thanks for the inspiration.

[Hidden]

@manimal, Thanks for the defense and support. Being new to the site it is easy for me to be tempted to engage in irrelevant conversation.

[Hidden]
Kristina Alexandra (13) (@lookitskristina) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@possiblehubris, congrats! i have been horribly failing at starting a water fast in my early twenties, where I did quite well in the my late teens. Hope the experience helps you, my own detox/fasts with tea, water and spirulina was always a very good mental and physical experience.
Consider taking spirulina tablets during the fast, they might be extremely helpful. The juicing center I go to in Indiana always made take me them twice a day during my 5 day juicing fast. They replace a lot of the amino acids and vitamins you will be without for the following days.
I will try to join you on your water fast tomorrow as well… maybe some support will give me the needed will power to finish!

[Hidden]

@lookitskristina, Thanks for the support and tips Kristina. And ya, I suppose a trip to the health food store would probably be a good idea. Generally I have been against tips because most people just try and talk be out of it and look at me as if I am crazy. And if you want to join in be all means? Glad to hear you have some experience in this area.

[Hidden]

@possiblehubris, fasting is a personal experience, none the less a dangerous one if done with the wrong intentions, but extremely beneficial all around for health, willpower, and spiritually. Spirulina I only mention because it helps to make it not as nutritionally taxing on your body, and also great to have on a daily basis as a supplement.
The place I go to juice and “get away” ,since in NYC its kind of hard to fast & focus when seamless.com is readily available, and bars around every corner, has a break down of their juicing/fasting routine their website “http://detoxoasis.net/a.php” There is a breakdown of supplements and routine and why it’s done, see if there is anything that you may take away from it, maybe it will help. Good Luck tomorrow!

[Hidden]
josephm (772) (@josephm) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

welcome to poverty

[Hidden]

@possiblehubris, oops the link didn’t work: http://detoxoasis.net/a.php

[Hidden]
Alex (345) (@staylucky) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@possiblehubris, You sure you’re not pregnant? You seem pretty cranky..

[Hidden]
Simon Phoenix (15) (@simonphoenix) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

Taco Bell

[Hidden]
L.T (151) (@1love) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@possiblehubris, I cant wait to hear about your experience. I’ve been wanting to try either a juice fast or what you are about to do so I’d loved to read about whats going through your head throughout this whole experience. Don’t listen to others, yes its not the best thing for your body but so is eating a big mac and smoking drugs.

[Hidden]

End of Day 1

Now I must start by reminding everyone that I am a seasoned practitioner…individual results will vary drastically.

That being said, I am Exhilarated. I know I am engaging in an epic quest of self-control. I have five days of altered perception ahead of me.

End of day one WATER is the name of the game.
Water truly is a lifeline.
I would be dead in roughly three days without water. Although, without food people have survived for months.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Irish_hunger_strike

And so I am constantly drinking water. It gives me strength and without it I would surely be dead before the weekend. Huh, I never thought of that before.

Stay away from food. The smells of food and the site of food make me salivate. I am aware of the salivation as conditioning. I remind myself that I do not need to walk to the food, or grab the food. But more on food addiction later.
It is best to keep distance from food, it makes the fast much more difficult.

Other than that, my mood is high. I am excited about sharing this process.

Last Food: Monday Jan 21 7:00pm Two Pieces of Toast and Raspberry Jam

Physical: Slight headache (probably caffeine related), feeling strong, went for walk and chopped wood, Hunger Pangs strongest around 2pm.

Hours without food: 21

Weight at start of fast: 178 lbs (I am 5’ 10’’)

[Hidden]
Edward Bernays (131) (@edwardbernays) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

This is fucking awesome.

[Hidden]
VernalSoul (598) (@vernalsoul) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

@possiblehubris, Thank you so much for “giving back” and sharing this with us. Especially when it’s going to make it harder on you, and you know that sharing is going to lead to people arguing with what you’re doing. Even though I’m not sure if I think it’s completely healthy, I am so glad to be able to vicariously experience this fast, and see how it truly affects a person day-by-day. The best way to gain an incredible amount of knowledge is to learn through other’s experiences, to live so many lives other than your own. Thank you for this opportunity.
Also, I suppose I also practice some Asceticism, I just never knew there was a name for it! I found myself doing it since a fairly young age, not always a very thought-out thing, but just finding myself craving something and going, hm, i’m going to deprive myself of that, just for the experience. I have found now at college-age, that compared to my peers, I have an extraordinary amount of self control. I’m going to look into doing it as a more practiced and guided experience.

[Hidden]
Viewing 24 reply threads
load more