6 Days on only Water.

For anyone that may be interested I will be embarking on a Water Fast starting this Wednesday Jan 23rd and going until Tuesday Jan 29th. During the course of the fast I will be documenting my feeling, thoughts, energy on HE. I have done several Water fasts in the past and now generally do one every year. My wife is flying out to Montreal for 6 days so it a good chance for me to do this without disrupting our family routine.

I was inspired to fast after reading Gandhi’s Autobiography when I was in my early 20s. I fast for spiritual reasons: to enhance self-control, examine my relationship with food and to challenge myself. Over the years it has also served as an effective form a weight regulation for me– generally I will lose 12-15 pounds during a 5-6 day water fast. This is also a nice perk.

I thought I would document my journey this time as a way of giving back to HE, as HE has done so much for my journey towards enlightenment.

Generally I keep my fast strictly confidential as it makes it easier to be without food if you are not talking about food or being asked questions about food, but I feel I am able to add this educational component to the challenge.

I shall begin in a couple of days:))

January 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm
possiblehubris (72) (@possiblehubris) 9 years ago ago

@vernalsoul, Thanks for the support and the kind words. I, without knowing it, was also into self-control at a young age. I am amazed at mind-over-matter challenges. I came upon fasting in a period in my life where I was aggressively simplifying. There is something attractive in the simplicity of a water fast for me.

[Hidden]
Nick (554) (@splashartist) 9 years ago ago

@possiblehubris, That’s rad man! Stoked for the updates. Think about us before we had society, I’m sure the hunters would go weeks without large amounts of food or even no food at all. Same with tons of animals living on the globe. I think anyone that says its unhealthy has their heads way too far up their own asses. We as a society are pampered beyond belief, so much where people don’t like water anymore and are scared of running. It’s kind of sad really.

[Hidden]

@splashartist, I like your take, thanks for contributing to the conversation…I have nothing to add I think you said it perfectly:)

[Hidden]
L.T (151) (@1love) 9 years ago ago

@possiblehubris, because you are not ingesting any calories, I was wondering if you should avoid almost all physical exercises especially chopping wood? Or is it because its only the first day and you still have energy to burn

[Hidden]
Alex Mayle (78)C (@alexmayle) 9 years ago ago

Take a multi-vitamin!

[Hidden]

@1love, Good question! Yes I have zero caloric intake but because I have done this numerous time before I have an idea of what my energy levels will be and currently are.
If this was a horrible experience in which I stayed in bed all day or on the couch I would not do it b/c it would take away too much from my daily living.
I must be careful not to over do it, but otherwise I carry on with my days as normally as possible. I work from home right now so strenuous work life is not a concern. I usually jog every two days– clearly I will not be doing that, but I do plan to go for walks, wrestle with my 3 1/2 year old son etc.

[Hidden]
Tine (366) (@tine) 9 years ago ago

@possiblehubris,

interesting, i like the test of self, the battle of will, you are embarking on,

– what does your energy level look like days 4-6 on average?

[Hidden]
Eric (1,819)M (@blankey) 9 years ago ago

@possiblehubris, Fair enough. I am 6’1 and 150 lbs so I probably would die after three days of no food lol

[Hidden]
savmot (135) (@savmot) 9 years ago ago

I did a three day water fast last august and have to say that I have never felt as good as I did at the end of it. My body felt great, and full of energy.
I do intend on doing a 5 day water fast soon, but I find it very hard to get past the first couple of days just due to the sheer habit of eating. I don’t tend to get hungry… I just want to eat, if you know what I mean!

[Hidden]
Kristina Alexandra (13) (@lookitskristina) 9 years ago ago

@possiblehubris, hey there! finished my first 24 hrs of water fasting. Managed to get in some boxing done since I had fuel from yesterdays last meal! Hopefully I will succeed with day 2! how is it going for you?

[Hidden]

@savmot, I totally know what you mean. Trust me I have been there.
The funny thing is you have gone through the toughest part of the fast.
—First three days are the hardest!
You make it past that and a glow sets in, sure some may say light-headed or dizzy, but fuck it if it is…..it sure isn’t painful…it is blissful.
In the earlier days I would leave the room if food or the smell of food were present.
So try again and you will succeed:)

Posting Day 2 in an 1.5hrs:)

[Hidden]

@lookitskristina, Way too go!!!!
As I say the first three days are the toughest. Because it is uncertain and slightly scary.
Stop if you need to. Listen to your body, be gentle with yourself.
Got to jam I have client– but look forward to telling you about my day:)

[Hidden]
Jovan (35) (@pantheonzeusamon) 9 years ago ago

I have water fasted for 14 days and it was an enlightening journey. The first couple days were hard but I still went forward because I felt “divinely-inspired” to complete the task God set forth. It is a great experience to test your own mind-body connection, clean your digestive system, and ultimately anything you fast for. Once I started to eat again, there was more of a sacred sense in what I was putting in my body. Otherwise I am juicing this week for an Entheogen Summit.

[Hidden]

@pantheonzeusamon, No G-word involved in it for me.
But I dig the 14 days…most I have done is 7, now it is usually 5-6 days. I get the lessons and get out:)
How was it “God set forth” for you?

[Hidden]

End of Day 2

My Facebook status says: “This may have been the most productive day of my life”.

And you guys are privy to the inside scoop, that I am not eating.
Now I do not profess that the fast and my most productive day are necessarily related, but it sure made for a great day:)

Headache from yesterday was absent this morning.
High energy all day. Woke and meditated (20mins), wrote in the morning on the couch, went for a walk (40mins), a guest speaker and now home typing this.

Weight 176

Physical: Excellent, still wrestling with my son, walking, dashing up the stairs.

Hours without food: 45

Weight 176 (-minus 2 lbs from start)

[Hidden]
Anonymous (177) (@) 9 years ago ago

@possiblehubris, Bravo! All will go well :0)

[Hidden]
Anonymous (24) (@) 9 years ago ago

So I’ve decided to give this a try too (Since I’ve been curious about the effects fasting produces for a while now and have not yet tried it). The 22nd was my last day of stuffing my face with food. I work 10-7 so I must say it was exceptionally challenging. My metabolism is pretty fast, as well. I’m about 5’7″ and weighed in at 122 pounds before I started. Physically I feel like one of those starving african predators you watch on the national geographic channel, who chased a gazelle down and lost it lol.

[Hidden]

@zanelee, Well like I have said it is not for everyone. If you have less fat to lose you will get to a critical level faster I imagine, that being said Gandhi was slight.
Again take care of yourself, I would hate to bring this out into this forum and have someone regret the experience.
Physically I feel fine, I spend as little time as possible thinking about hunger issues.

[Hidden]

oh ya and lots and lots of water today, gum (I get dry mouth) and one multivitamin.

[Hidden]

@possiblehubris, Thanks for the concern bro, but as long as I drink lots of water I should be fine. I’ve been eating like a pig lately so I feel this fasting challenge was long over due. In fact, I might take it a step further and go past 6 days depending on how I’m feeling when the time comes. I was thinking about food all day, but now I lead my thoughts towards more productive things which is cool because I consider it a strengthening exercise for my mind.

[Hidden]

The only question I have is what to do/ eat when I’m done fasting. I heard your body can go into shock if you consume the wrong thing since your digestive system has adapted to not breaking down food anymore.

[Hidden]

@zanelee, Great to hear that you are eager.
Again my only concern for you is your weight starting point. I will lose roughly 2lbs per day, I assume it will be the same for you.
My concern is that your BMI is already underweight. For me you fall into the category of “not a good idea to fast” now this may be my prejudice because I know underweight people can get as much stereotyping as overweight people. But that being said, I know the reaction I encounter when telling people about fasting and I am of average weight, according to BMI just barely average, on the brink of landing on the overweight scale.
Please check this out for yourself and I would encourage anyone to consider this before starting a fast:
http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

For me, my returning meal has never been a concern. I know my body can handle the return to food. I am not a Holocaust POW, five days is not along time.

I guess my major concern would be your motives. Each one of us has a complex relationship with food. I have never had “problems” with food in my life, but it was a subject I took for granted until I began running marathons and doing long bicycling tours. At that time I realized the power of my body, its resiliency, and potential.

[Hidden]

End of Day 3

Another great day. I have noticed that my sense of smell and my vision seem heightened today– smell especially.

Woke up at 4am for some reason and have had energy all day. Went for an hour long walk.I became slightly dizzy a couple of times when I got up too fast from the couch.

Ohh and I took my first Poo in 3 days:) Nothing fantastic, I always thought it would be some sort of fossilized “movement” but it appeared pretty normal. If history holds true I may have one more “movement” in the next 3 days.

Physical: Excellent High Energy.

Hours without food: 69

Weight 175 (-3lbs from start of fast)

[Hidden]

And I am chilly today. Feet can’t stay warm.

[Hidden]
Anonymous (177) (@) 9 years ago ago

@possiblehubris, Yep, by not eating as usual, the body is not burning the food you would usually have in your system which produces heat. And, as you know, metabolism slows down, so yes, I’ve fasted in Winter and it takes extra layers – maybe try two pair of socks if you don’t have a thick pair.

[Hidden]
Viewing 24 reply threads
load more