642 things to write about, again

Tine (@tine) 8 years, 10 months ago

Sorry, just looked at the last one i posted and saw it got nuked by some sales bot spammer, gonna re-post fresh:

The title is the name of a book i picked up on clearance at tjmax while Christmas shopping,

Here is the introduction:

this book was written in a single day. a single 24 hour period, with no advance notice. Nor was it our idea. An editor-friend of mine rang out of the blue and said, “Let’s do a book called 642 things to write about.”

My gut response was, “Great, but you don’t mean literally 642 things, right? you’re using 642 just to represent any big number, so it could be 238 things or 187 things-i mean, 642 things is going to be kind of impossible.”

“Okay, we could do a different number,” she said, then paused. “but i was thinking 642 things. literally.”

i was not going to tackle this alone. so the next morning, i emailed my office mates at the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. There are thirty-five writers here, a warren maze of small offices and library-like carrels. my thought was that if we came up with more than a hundred writing ideas on the first day, then maybe this project could be real. i thought it would take a month.

people started emailing in ideas, in bunches. we had a hundred within an hour. five hundred by the end of the day, and the ideas kept flowing overnight. contributions came in from thirty-five different writers. at lunchtime the following day, i delivered the finished manuscript, in person, to our editor.

i tell this story because it’s a lesson in hidden potential. you never know what might happen. in a single day, if you hit the right nerve, you could have something-maybe it’s the start of something, maybe it’s the whole thing. and it doesn’t even have to begin with your own idea. you just have to get creative and plunge in.

you could use there 642 things literally, by picking an exercise and completing it. or you can just let them wash over you to stir up your creativity, to remind you that no, not everything has been written, not every good idea is already taken by someone else. there are infinite number of things one could write about and so many fresh directions for your story to go.

PO BRONSON
San Francisco Writer’s Grotto

January 26, 2013 at 10:35 am
Tine (366) (@tine) 8 years, 10 months ago ago

here is what i would like to do, as i go through the book myself, i’d like to post 3-4 statements and if all or any strike you, feel free to post your work of creativity here,

also, if you find you enjoy this process, i’d recommend the book, good buy

The format of the book is as follows:

There will be a random statement to write about || followed by the amount of notepad lines the book allows for each, for instance, “Tell a story that begins with a ransom note” || 25 Lines,

so you’d fill in at least 25 lines in your notepad, don’t let the number limit you though, its there more as a goal, if you feel the creativity flowing, do continue…

most of the statements are 7 – 10 Liners,

[Hidden]

WRITING 1:

– Tell a story that begins with a ransom note || 25 Lines

– Something you had that was stolen || 7 Lines

– The long-lost roommate || 7 Lines

– What a character holding a blue object is thinking right now || 7 Lines

[Hidden]

– Tell a story that begins with a ransom note || 25 Lines

tears streaming down her cheeks, she stared at the note, no!, she cried, how could they do this?! panic spread from her chest and out her mouth in the form of a scream, WHY!??!?!? now i have nothing! nothing!

but mother, a small voice from behind interjected, you still have sofie and me, your children,

NOO!, she shrieked, my love is gone, nothing else matters, there is no way i can pay the amount demanded… ( crying hysterically ) i will never love again,

mother, sofie soft voice floated into her ears, we can always just get you another dog

[Hidden]

– Something you had that was stolen || 7 Lines

the hat, it was special, blue and properly pimp, i had taken it to a Mayday concert down at Verizon Wireless and had it signed by Aaron Lewis of Staind, my friend had won 2 ‘meet the band’ VIP passes through some random shoe contest, and we got to meet the entire band before they performed,

sadly, one day at while working at Wal-Mart, i left the hand sitting on the bike racks for 15 minutes while i went on a smoke break, and when i got back, it was gone

[Hidden]

– The long-lost roommate || 7 Lines

Timmmmyy!, matt exclaimed with over-exuberance, how’ve you been bro?

sighing internally, i turned to face him, not bad, i replied neutrally,

shit man, long time no see, its been since we got in trouble right?

yup, that sounds about right…., just wanting to leave i steered the conversation towards the elephant in the room, so, did you mom, when she cleaned out our apartment, keep my stuff,

his smile turned sour, i don’t know man, she didn’t tell me,

knowing for sure he was lying due to proof, i smiled sardonically, all right then, later on,

he knew i knew, so didn’t reply in return, just turned and walked away

[Hidden]

– What a character holding a blue object is thinking right now || 7 Lines

lets see, is long and blue, made of some sort of, soft, yet durable material.. hrmmm… ok, if i hit it against the ground, because it is semi rigid, the shock does not damage it despite it awkward shape… i wonder what it could be… all right, it is not flammable but will blacken the material….ok, easy to catch (tosses object again) … easy to throw… ewww, not very tasty, kinda a pungent and elastic taste combination…. hrmmm..

“Timmy, how many times have i told you to stay out of mommy’s room…. omg, TIMMY! put down my butt plug!”

( this is why timmy needs therapy )

[Hidden]

lame

[Hidden]
Viewing 6 reply threads
load more