For some people, the holidays are an incredible time to reconnect with family and enjoy the warmth of their relationships with others. For many of us, however, the holidays are nothing like this. Each year, while Christmas carols tell tales of joy and light-heartedness, thousands of people sink into crippling depression, desperate anxiety, bitter resentment, or helpless isolation.
It doesn’t have to be this way. We cannot ignore holiday suffering, nor can we fight it. What we can do is rekindle the hope that lies in all our hearts by doing simple acts of love and kindness that make the holidays a happier time for all of us. This is what the 12 Days of ReKINDling challenge is all about: lighting the spark of compassion between all human beings, regardless of religion, belief, or social status.
You are invited to do 12 daily tasks, each of which explores a different level of connection. You can choose your 12 day period according to your holiday schedule and customs.
- Day 1: Tell someone close to you what you appreciate about them
- Day 2: Reach out to a family member whom you rarely contact
- Day 3: Send an apology letter to someone you’ve wronged
- Day 4: Reconnect with an old friend who’s fallen out of touch
- Day 5: Give a genuine compliment to a co-worker or acquaintance
- Day 6: Send a letter of forgiveness to someone who has hurt you
- Day 7: Do something kind for a complete stranger
- Day 8: Leave 10 positive, loving comments on the internet
- Day 9: Write a loving, supportive letter to your younger self
- Day 10: Anonymously send a gift or card to someone who needs it
- Day 11: Allow yourself to ask help/support and to receive it
- Day 12: Leave something valuable for a stranger to find
Get more information at http://www.vironika.org/rekindle
Join us and follow along on your favourite social network using the hashtag #12daysofreKINDling
Join the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1241138432568206