Hello, fellow friends!
Many of you might already have heard of the Gospel of Thomas, but for those of you who haven’t i Thought I’d compile some quite interesting chapters. The Gospel of Thomas is an ancient gospel that is as old as the gospels of Mark and Luke etc. The scripture has been proven to be the real deal, and I thought I would share them with some of you here on HE.
What I find extraordinary is the fact that these ancient saying compiled of what Jesus have said are tangential to the teachings of Buddhism and Hinduism and other religions. They are also in complete contrast to the contemporary teachings of Christianity.
I thought I would compile some of my favorites for you to ponder upon and discuss (since some of them are quite mysterious):
(3) Jesus said, “If those who lead you say to you, ‘See, the kingdom is in the sky,’ then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, ‘It is in the sea,’ then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty.”
(5) Jesus said, “Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you . For there is nothing hidden which will not become manifest.”
(6) His disciples questioned him and said to him, “Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?”
Jesus said, “Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all things are plain in the sight of heaven. For nothing hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered.”
(32) Jesus said, “A city being built on a high mountain and fortified cannot fall, nor can it be hidden.”
(36) Jesus said, “Do not be concerned from morning until evening and from evening until morning about what you will wear.”
(42) Jesus said, “Become passers-by.”
(66) Jesus said, “Show me the stone which the builders have rejected. That one is the cornerstone.”
(95) Jesus said, “If you have money, do not lend it at interest, but give it to one from whom you will not get it back.”
(113) His disciples said to him, “When will the kingdom come?”
<Jesus said,> “It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be a matter of saying ‘here it is’ or ‘there it is.’ Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it.”
Source for all 100+ verses:
Yea, from what I have gathered by looking at different religions, whether it is Taoism, or Christianity. The truth or reality of things are inside each and everyone of us. Not outside. It’s like what Jung said: “Who looks outside dreams; who looks within awakens”.
yeah man, I think at the heart of it…. especially if your talking about taoism (or just understanding reality), it’s about realising that inside IS outside and vice-versa. you know?
That’s a nice Jung quote, not heard it, haven’t actually read any Jung, i think i may be missing out.
If eastern and western religions are of interest to you check out some Alan Watts lectures on youtube, if you haven’t already.
Haven’t watched anything of Alan Watts that I know of, but I’ll make sure I do. Yea, it’s like the observer and the observed, that is actually one, you = god. Jung was quite the philosopher actually, has many many great quotes that bear a philosophical meaning, check him out on Youtube or just Google Jung quotes.
More or less all religions point to one source, whether it is through analogies, metaphors, stories or different languages. To bad that people view their teachings as exclusive, while they are inclusive, at least the true meaning of what is being said.
Thing is this Gospel was left out of the Bible, so you can’t actually find it in there. The gospel of Thomas was chosen to not be included for several reasons, one relating to control. Check out/Google Council of Nicea if you want to know more about how the bible came to be the way it is today.
@andre-san Thats really not surprising to me. I havent associated myself with organized religion for a long time just for that reason. I think so much of it is made up to control and take from people. As I said there is wisdom in the Bible and Im sure much from other religions as well, but their overall goal to recruit and control and judge others that dont abide by their rules and beliefs, its sickening. Peace. Love. Good Vibes.